Sunday, June 22, 2008

Nuts! - Review



My Dad gave me the book Nuts! Southwest Airlines Crazy Recipee for Business and Personal Success, and he highly recommended that I read it for tips about leadership. The book sat on my shelf for quite a while, but this spring, I finally read it. I'm glad I did.
Nuts! is written by avid fans of Southwest Airlines. The husband and wife authors studied Southwest for their PhD disertation.
Southwest Airlines is a domestic airline in the USA, and it is the only airline to be profitable every year over the last several decades. Southwest achieved this amazing success through creativity and personal empowerment. They revolutionized the industry by aiming for profit through high volume instead of high prices.
Here are some of the basic leadership tips I learned from Southwest Airlines.

  • Be yourself. Let your own personality shine through. Don't be afraid to be quirky.
  • Encourage others to be themselves. Empower them to make decisions that have meaning.
  • Be gracious about mistakes.
  • Celebrate victories and milestones. Go all out with your celebrations. Humans have a deeply ingrained need for celebration. It is like a vital nutrient for our souls. Without healthy celebration, part of us withers.
  • Have lots of fun at work and away from work. Fan the flames of humor.
  • Customers come second. Take care of your people. Sometimes the people you serve are just wrong.
  • Love, love, love. Crazy, huh. A secular business taught me that love is one of the key ingredients for a successful organization. Love is the glue that holds us together. Love is the oil that lubricates our gears. Love is indespensible and transforming.
  • Be simple. Don't overcomplicate your systems or your expectations.

I highly recommend this book. The content is probably 5J's material, but it sank to 4J's in m book because it is somewhat repetetive, rehearsing the same good content again and again under different headings.

No comments: