Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Day 7: Jogging and Date Night

Monday morning, I went for a jog with Sarah's brother, Luke. We ran around a small lake near their house and onto the levie and then back through town. We were running pretty slow, but I'm guessing we ran about 4 miles. That gave us a nice time to chat about this and that. We're planning to do it again on Wednesday.

Thanks to the internet, Sarah and I were able to plan out a nice date night in Cedar Rapids, the closest big town. We found three great things all within 2 blocks of each other.
First on the schedule: salad bar at Ruby Tuesdays. When people ask me what foods I miss from America, lately I've been saying Mexican food and salad bars. Korea has an attempt at salad bars (usually at pizza restaurants), but they are usually just lettuce, tomatoes, dressing, and lots of other dishes (potato salad, sweet potato salad, jellos, canned fruits, pasta salads, etc.). One of my friends from South Africa (Jenny) said that a salad shouldn't have more than 5 ingredients. I definitely disagree. I piled on the diversity at Ruby Tuesdays. After 20 different ingredients, I lost count! It was a fiesta of flavors!
Next stop, the best icecream on earth at Cold Stone Creamery. South Korea has a few of these now, but they are both in Seoul and very difficult to reach for us (probably a good thing). Sarah couldn't finish her icecream after the big salad, but nothing was stopping me!
Last stop, the movie theater, where we watched Prince Caspian, the second in the Chronicles of Narnia series. The movie theater was very cold, so Sarah was in shock with her shorts and shortsleeves. But I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I'd probably give it 4J's. The alegory continues, as Aslan (God) was strangely distant. The Narnians were stuck dealing with doubt as the Telamarines dominated their homeland and turned them into exiles. Even when the child kings and queens were called back to Narnia, they faced the difficulty of following and waiting for Aslan when he was not easily seen. Sound familiar? Prince Caspian wrestles beautifully with the difficulty of faith in an ambiguous world. I highly recommend it.

While we were in the big city (well, small city), we stopped in at Wal-mart to buy some cheaper groceries for our family. Man, I love Wal-mart.

No comments: