Friday, January 18, 2013

100 Things I Love About Korea # 42: An Expectation of Healthy Eating


Sure junk food and fast food are creeping into Korean society, and waistlines are correspondingly increasing.  But overall, Korean food is very healthy - lots of vegetables and fish.  And overall, Koreans expect to eat healthy food on a regular basis.  
Contrast this with the high fat American diet I know and love, and I am learning to appreciate a culture that values healthy eating.  Somehow, in the past year since our son was born, I’ve put on about 10 kilos (20+ pounds).  I guess it was a combination of less exercise (because of taking care of him in the morning) and more coffee and snacks (to stave off the fatigue from said taking care of him in the early mornings).  But I shudder to think of how many buttons I would have popped if I had gone through the same lifestyle changes on a standard American diet.  
And yes, by the way, I am now seriously starting to eat less and to exercise more - especially so that I can regain some semblance of control while my surrounding culture is working with me instead of against me.

No comments: