Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Learning Pony Tails

This semester, it's my job to take Emma to school three or four days a week. In Korean culture, it is crucial for girls to have some kind of decoration in their hair. It is a sign of love and care from the parents. Without it the child seems neglected and uncared for. (This is very similar to African-American culture.)
In the past, I've just helped Emma put in a headband. This is the bare minimum in hair accessories, but it is also easier. A few times, I ventured into hair clips, but I often felt frustrated and gave up.
Something changed last week. Emma asked me to put her hair in a pony tail. I told her that she would have to do that on days when Mommy could fix her hair, but she persisted. I decided to give it a try.
Surprisingly it worked OK. With a few tutorials from Sarah (use a comb not a brush, etc.), I'm starting to get the hang of it. On the elevator today, though, I noticed that her pony tail was pointing a little to the left.
Adventures in being a father.

No comments: