Thursday, October 30, 2008

Free Rice Upgrades

I'm a huge fan of www.freerice.com. I encourage my students to practice their English at this site. For every correct answer, this website gives 20 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program to help people in crisis situations in struggling countries like: Bangladesh, Cambodia, Uganda, Nepal, Bhutan, and Myanmar.
Now Free Rice has upgraded. They have expanded beyond their original vocabulary game to include quizzes on a wide variety of subjects: famous paintings, chemistry, English vocabulary, English grammar, geography, French, Spanish, Italian, German, and Math.
I played the geography game today. It's fun, and I'm learning a lot about our world. Check it out.
So far (since their beginning in October of 2007), Free Rice has raised 48.5 billion grains of rice. That's enough to feed 2.5 million people two square meals a day.
Way to go Free Rice! Thanks for being creative with how to help those who most need our help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Josh, I enjoy the Free Rice Game and try to excercise my mind on it a few times a week, while it helps others.

Aunt Sue