Monday, September 22, 2008

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (#7) - JJJJJ


Early this summer I read Harry Potter #6. Normally, I rotate the books I read for fun: light fiction, classic fiction, nonfiction. However, after #6 ended in such a suspenseful way, I just couldn't go on to another book. I borrowed #7 from my friend Helene, and I took it with me to Tanzania. I read it almost nonstop on the airplane, in the airports, on the buses, etc. I finished it about half way through our trip, and I absolutely loved it.
I hope I don't give everything away, but here are a few of my impressions.
I enjoyed how some of the minor characters came into their own. The upswing of Neville and Luna preached a great message of not picking on the uncool people.
I enjoyed the movement of the story beyond the scope of Hogwarts. Seeing Harry, Hermione, and Ron trapse about the country was delightful.
Harry, of course, had a variety of wonderful scenes, but to describe them and even why I liked them would cause a spoiler.
I can also say that I was completely surprised by Snape; shocked is not an understatement.

I gladly give this book 5J's. J.K. Rowling is a master story teller. The Harry Potter series might not be classic literature, in the sense that sometimes the dialogue is lacking, and there are occasional plot weaknesses. However, she has woven nearly 5,000 pages of gripping story which has involved millions around the world in the world of a handful of kids and adults growing up and coming to terms with themselves and their world. I have thoroughly enjoyed this journey.

1 comment:

Josette said...

I was reading this book nonstop too! It was all so exciting, with this being the last book too. I agree with you that Rowling is a talented story-teller. I'm eager to see what other books she might churn out later.

Here's my review of HP7!