Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Ferguson Rifle - Review

My grandparents love Louis L'amour.  When we visited them this winter, I asked them to recommend a few of his books.  We also listened to some short stories on tape.  (Yes, my mom's car still uses audio cassettes!)  This has been a good way for me to get a sense for my grandpa's world.  Also, L'amour is one of the best selling American authors of all time - with 101 books and around 300,000,000 total sold.  The reason for all that success is that he tells a great story.
The Ferguson Rifle tells the story of a scholar, who returned ventured westward into the North American wilderness after losing his wife and daughter in a fire.  Told in the first person, the action is quick, but also seasoned with the scholar's reflections on life and on his life in particular.  This is a good quick read.  It reminds me very much of John Grisham's writing, only set in the wild American west.
The Josh rating: JJJJ.

No comments: