Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Book Review: "The Client" by John Grisham

The Client reads fast and rips your heart out slow.  A couple of kids in a trailer park stumble upon a mob lawyer just as he's about to commit suicide.  Out of a mixture of curiosity and compassion, they get sucked into the mess.  One boy ends up learning where a certain celebrity body is buried.  Then, the lawyer bites a bullet from his own gun.
The rest of the story is the kid trying to find a way out of the mess he stumbled into without harming his family in the process.  He is being chased by the mob and the Feds, and he is a poignant mixture of crafty and helpless, cunning and innocent.
In addition to its sheer enjoyment value,  The Client offers a beautiful little glimpse into the lives of an underprivileged family.  They are simply struggling to survive amid tragically difficult circumstances, yet they maintain steady love and grace for each other.  That's one of the things I love about Grisham.  He can deliver a profound message without the reader ever being aware that a sermon lies between the lines of the narrative.  Well done, sir.  Well done.





2 comments:

StampingJudy said...

This book was my very first Grisham read. Now I have read them ALL with one exception - Calico Joe. If some one has it, has read it, and will loan it to me I will probably read it too. My least favorite Grisham book was the Painted House. Yes, others disagree with me and have said it is the favorite. My favorite was The Testament. I just finished The Racketeer recently. I have read the first three books in the Theodore Boone Kid Lawyer series and am waiting for the 4th to be published and downloaded to my Kindle. I enjoy his books a lot!

Unknown said...

Yeah, I'm hoping to read all of his books. That will be much easier now that I'm back in the states. I almost started King of Torts, but I put it off in favor of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I figured a little change of pace would be good.