Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Goodbye Letter #06: Nikki Muyskens


[This is part of a series in which departing members of our church write a letter to say goodbye to our church.  Nikki left in the summer of 2012, so this is coming a little late, but nonetheless, it's still good!]

Dear KNU International English Church,
I write to you from my home in Colorado (USA) now, on vacation before I go back to my new home in Daegu for the next year.  My stuff is no longer in Cheonan, but it still feels like a home to me.  It’s the place where I have lived and grown for the past two years, and it’s the place where you, my church family, still live.  It was a surreal experience last month to be packing up my things and saying goodbyes, because I couldn’t quite believe that chapter in my life was coming to a close, even though I was looking forward to my future plans as well.  I also find it a little strange to say a lot of emotional goodbyes, because I am not actually leaving in the same way as our friends moving to other countries.  Daegu is not that far away, and I plan to visit relatively often.  I am not severing connections here by any means--- rather, I hope they continue and grow--- but this chapter of my life, nevertheless, will look different.  I love how Michael Palmer uncovered the beauty of saying goodbyes in his blog ("The Beauty in Goodbye"), because it really is the transitions of life that make us appreciate the true significance and tremendous value of what we have, and God has richly blessed me.  “I thank my God every time I remember you” (Philippians 1:3).

I cry at beauty, at grace and thankfulness, at the significant, at the inexpressible--- at something that has left an impression on me in ways that I may not be fully aware.  That’s why words aren’t coming to me so easily right now, because this loving community has truly shaped me, encouraged me, strengthened me, and sharpened me in more ways than I am aware of, yet am deeply grateful for.  To all who are part of KNU International English Church, whether we knew each other well or not, thank you for creating this community, for welcoming me, and most of all, for seeking to love God with all your hearts.  I am blessed to be part of this loving community that changes our world.

No comments: