Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Follow Me to Freedom - Review

When my friend Shannon showed me a book on leadership co-authored by Shane Claiborne, I knew I had to read it.  I was entranced with Claiborne's Irresistible Revolution, and leadership is one of my favorite subjects.  Follow Me to Freedom did not disappoint.  
Beautifully, this book is a conversation about both leadership and following.  Shane Claiborn and John Perkins (a 70+ year old, civil rights activist, who marched with MLK) joyfully banter back and forth on all kinds of issues related to leadership within the Kingdom - especially in the areas of community development.  The book is actually written in conversation form, with Shane and John sharing "speaking" time and going back and forth, feeding off each other.  It was beautiful to read their affirming words of each other - a young white radical learning from an old black activist; and an old black leader joyfully lifting up an upcoming white leader.
This book reminded me again of the crucial importance of community and relationship in the leadership process.  It reminded me of the importance of mentoring and being mentored.  It reminded me of the humility and joy inherent in healthy living and leadership.  It reminded me that we give our lives to God, not to a cause, and that we work in the cause as working for God - leaving the results up to him.
This book was not as earthshaking as Irresistible Revolution, but it is a good quiet reminder of many of the things we know about life and leadership but are so likely to forget or to ignore.  I recommend it.  The Josh rating: JJJJ.

No comments: