Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Bath House with the Pastors

Yesterday, I went to a meeting of Cheonan pastors. After lunch, we played soccer at a field across town. I asked if I'd be able to make it back for my 5pm appointment. "No problem. We finish at 4pm."
We had a nice game on a short field with side walls and a back net thing that kept the ball in play. No big fouls and two goals (one off the goalie's butt!). Nice day for a defender.

After the game, everyone decides to go to the public bath house for a "quick 15 minute shower." I enjoy the shower, hot tub, sauna, and postlude shower. Then one of the other pastors asks me to scrub his back - not kidding - and remember, we're completely naked. This is actually a sign of friendship and care. It's common to see father and son pairs giving each other a good scrub down. After a few minutes, he offered to scrub my back. It actually felt pretty good.

After about an hour, we finally left, and I was 30 minutes late for my appointment. But ... good times.

3 comments:

Brent Dirks said...

Well kudos to you on living in Korean culture. I've been to the bathhouse three times but only alone. I'm jealous of you that another man asked you to rub his back...well, almost. How did you connect with these pastors? Are they all Nazarenes?

Jayson G. said...

The things you never thought you would actually do......... let alone put on your blog! Glad things are going well. Miss you, man!

Unknown said...

Yep, never thought I would be in a hot tub with a bunch of naked pastors!

This is the monthly pastors meeting for the Cheonan/PyeongTaek Zone for the Nazarene Church.