Tuesday, October 30, 2012

100 Things I Love About Korea: #1: Food - Kimbap

We're moving away from Korea in something like 120 days.  As part of saying goodbye, I'm going to try to blog about the 100 things I love about Korea.  These will come in no particular order, but only as the spirit of the day moves me.

Right off the bat, I have to declare my love for Kimbap - that omnipresent Korean fast food, loosely related to sushi.
However, it wasn't love at first sight.  One day into my life into our 8+ years in Korea, our host for the day - the incredible Jean Johnson - took us shopping, and we stopped for lunch.  My meal was kimbap, which is rice, vegetables, imitation crab, ham, egg, and processed fish - all wrapped inside blackish-green seaweed paper.  I was pretty intimidated at first, and that doesn't often happen with me and food. I actually said to myself, "Well, it doesn't kill them, so I guess it's safe to eat."
I don't remember especially liking it on that first day, but I ate it.  And, lo and behold, it grew on me.  Especially after I discovered "Chamchi Kimbap" or Tuna Kimbap.  It's kind of like tuna salad and rice, all wrapped up into bite-sized chunks.
Kimbap is a nutritionally balanced, tasty meal, ready in about a minute, easy to eat on the go, and all for the low price of $1-2.  Gotta love that.  

No comments: